The Engineer is responsible for the safe and efficient operation, maintenance and repair of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and all associated equipment for one or more properties.
- Operates, maintains and repairs all electrical, mechanical, plumbing, life safety systems and other related equipment in assigned properties
- Conducts daily mechanical tours according to Company standards and the schedule set by the supervisor to ensure the continuous, efficient and safe operation of equipment and building systems
- Adjusts HVAC systems' controls to manage temperature and air circulation throughout the system to provide tenant comfort and meet lease requirements
- Operates and monitors automation systems, logs, systems' measures, and alarms to identify and resolve problems and anomalies outside of normal operating parameters; adjusts systems as appropriate; and records and reports all faults, deficiencies, and other unusual occurrences to the supervisor
- Performs preventive and reactive equipment maintenance as required by Company standards and manufacturers' specifications and documents actions/measures with the service request system
- Quickly responds to and resolves tenant and property management service requests and documents actions with the service request system
- Performs general building maintenance and repairs and paints equipment, mechanical and related spaces as needed
- Responds to alarms and incidents of any nature, provides assistance when needed, and identifies recurring issues for follow up and correction
- Ensures that required documentation, operating logs, and maintenance forms are completed accurately and clearly and are maintained in Company Compliance Books, paper files, and electronic data/filing systems
- Responsible for complying with and enforcing policies from the Employee Manual, Operations Manual, safety guidelines, and accepted Company practices
- Performs other duties and completes special projects as assigned; and carries out all tasks assigned by managers and supervisors in an efficient and timely manner
- Carry and utilize Company issued communication devices for emergency response and daily communication
- As essential building personnel the responsibilities of this position occasionally require overtime, weekend and holiday work on a scheduled, short-notice or emergency basis
- Supervises the work of subordinate employees as assigned
Education, Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required
- Possess and maintain a current license as a Class Three Steam Boiler Engineer (at minimum) from the District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Occupational and Professional Licensing Administration, or equivalent licensing acceptable to the Company
- Specific licensure in another building-related trade is desired, but not required
- Certification as a CFC Universal Technician from an US EPA-approved program is required
- General Facility Operations/Maintenance/Repair Experience: Four or more years of experience within the disciplines of stationary engineering, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire protection, other mechanical systems and/or general building/facilities maintenance
- Experience processing service requests and/or preventive maintenance requests with a computerized maintenance management system is preferred
- Familiarity with the operation of building automation systems is preferred
- Ability to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, controls and components using appropriate tools
- Ability to read construction documents, blue prints, pneumatic mechanical and/or electric control drawings
- General knowledge of safe work practices & OSHA regulations, OSHA 30 training is preferred
- Ability to efficiently manage time and supplies
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, proactively contributes ideas to improve operations
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills, able to effectively articulate instructions and directions to others and perform intermediate arithmetic calculations
- Provide an effective means for contact after normal working hours and be able to respond to urgent building issues
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, manage concurrent tasks with multiple deadlines, flexible, versatile and quickly adapt to rapidly changing priorities
- Self-directed, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and possesses a strong desire and ability to learn and understand
- Must be reliable, punctual, dependable with excellent attendance, and have schedule flexibility to respond to callbacks and work overtime as required to meet business needs
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, stand, sit, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is subject to extremes of temperature while working in mechanical rooms or with outdoors. The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, high voltage electricity with risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extremes of outdoor weather conditions and temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and occasionally requires the use of hearing protection equipment.
JBG SMITH is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.