United Surgical Partners International
Job Summary: This position exists to support the business office functions for patient services. This person is required to be the patient representative and is often the first on-site contact the patient has with the Center. The Patient Services Representative should have excellent people handling skills and a high degree of accuracy in obtaining and recording information. This person shall be organized. May be delegated additional responsibilities or special assignments by the Business Office Manager.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Business Office Coordinator.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
* Greets and sees to the needs of the patients and families.
* Admits patients by obtaining insurance information, copies of insurance cards, patient signatures, and collects the amounts to cover the patient's portion of financial responsibility.
* Enters the patients' insurance information accurately in the computer system to produce a clean claim form. Maintains an error rate of less than 2%.
* Maintains the daily receipt journal, prepares receipts for cash, check or credit card, and ensures the patient has a copy. Submits the journal for posting daily.
* Prepares patient charts
* Schedules procedures in the patient accounting system
* Receives, screens, and routes incoming calls in a professional manner by the third ring.
* Assists in continuous quality improvement processes.
* Seeks involvement in activities that promote professional growth and behavior, and promotes and assists employees in the same.
* Informs Business Office Coordinator of applicable day-to-day situations.
* Calls and verifies benefits and eligibility; obtains authorizations as necessary.
* Verifies that authorization has been obtained for the date of surgery by the doctor's office, and follows-up with doctor's office if authorization has not been obtained.
* Completes verification sheet and enters above findings in computer under respective patient.
* Files verification sheet in the patient's Medical Record.
* Informs patient beforehand of any outstanding co-pays and deductibles due at time of surgery.
* Follows employee health, and other personnel and staffing policies.
* Able to work as a team member.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual shall be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Behavior: Demonstrates ability to work as a team member and to communicate directly and professionally. Shall be flexible, reliable, productive, patient-oriented and self-motivated. Avoids being involved in gossip spreading or conversations that promote discord of staff members. Maintains professional conduct and appearance.
Experience/or Education: Shall be a high school graduate. Associate Degree in Business preferred. Shall have two years experience related experience and /or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Shall have demonstrated computer skills.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents and correspondence. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence memos. Ability to communicate effectively with physicians, their staffs, patients, and their families.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Shall be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that shall be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee shall be able to sit, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects and tools. The employee is required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Shall be able to hear and speak. The employee shall be able to occasionally lift and /or move up to 20 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.