STUDENT CARE WORKER
Academic Calendar with summer hours possible
- The Student Care Workers support students, Grades PreK - 12, with special needs, in New Milford area schools.
- Supports the student in their development of life skills and their development of strategies to manage their behavior.
- Lifting/transferring students and assisting them with the activities of daily living, including toileting.
- Regular and consistent attendance is considered an essential function of this position.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- ABA- Applied Behavior Analysis- experience and skills preferred
- Desire to work with children with varied special needs, including autism
- Ability to maintain confidentiality about issues related to children and families
- Must meet Federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) paraprofessional standards:
- High School diploma or GED diploma AND
- Two years of college credit, OR
- An Associate's (or higher) degree, OR
- Pass the State Board of Education adopted paraprofessional assessment, (ParaPro) which assesses content knowledge in mathematics, reading, writing and an understanding of how to assist in the instructions of these topics.
- The ability to physically manage a disruptive child both individually and as part of a team to ensure the safety of the student and staff
- Must be able to perform approved physical management in accordance within the mandated approved techniques for student restraint and seclusion
- Must maintain the stamina and mobility to ensure student safety as it relates to student flight or avoidance
- Must be able to withstand the physical demands of frequent standing, bending, kneeling and therapeutic holding as required with ability to lift 10+ lbs.