CentraState Healthcare System
[ Overview ]
Under direction of the Assistant Vice President of Nursing, with Nurse Managers, is responsible to assist in the planning, directing and supervising of the overall operation of the Nursing Department for a designated shift. Works within the department and as a part of the Medical Center s Management Team to operationalize the patient care, service goals and objectives established by senior management. Provides, evaluates and maintains quality of patient care in accordance with current policies and procedures, ANA Standards, the NJ Nurse Practice Act and NJ Practical Nurse Act, Joint Commission, NJ Department of Health and Senior Services, and Specialty Organizations incorporating evidence based practice. Utilizes the Nursing process to plan and direct patient care activities in a culturally sensitive manner. Evaluates the effectiveness of Nursing care through the analysis of Nurse Sensitive indicators and patient outcomes. Attends System-wide orientation and nursing orientation. Under the direction of the Sr Administrative Coordinator, a schedule will be provided outlining key personnel for the employee to meet. A preceptor/mentor will be provided by the Sr. Administrative Coordinator. A patient focused care model utilizing a multidisciplinary approach is used as the method to deliver care in the department. Members of the multi-disciplinary treatment team include: Clinical Leaders, RNs, LPNs, MSTs, NAs, Unit Secretaries, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Dietitians, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapists, Respiratory, Case Managers, Pastoral Care, Speech Therapist, Infection Control, Pharmacists, Phlebotomists and Housekeeping.
[ Responsibilities ]
- Establishes and implements standards of care based on evidenced-based nursing practice and evaluates patient care through the application of the nursing process and compares the delivery of the care to the established standard(s).
- Provides for the protection of self and others by adhering to the unit-based safe work practices regarding protective equipment by using proper sharps disposal technique; exercising care and caution when working with and around other sharps and following manufacturer and safety precautions.
- Assesses the need to develop and implement a professional growth plan for each staff member by enforcing attendance at appropriate in-service training sessions, encouraging staff to attend outside seminars and assigning duties to maximize development. Collaborates with nurse managers when necessary.
- Runs interference between departments and removes barriers.
- Makes rounds on all units to gather real time census information and expedite admissions and discharges.
- Facilitates inter-unit transfers.
- Decreases diversion with potential increase in Code Purple status.
- In coordination with Patient Access, facilitates bed placement from PACU, direct admissions and emergency department.
- Prioritizes patient flow.
- Validates potential vs. actual discharges.
- Assists in transporting patients to floors at any time if transport is delayed. Knows what resources are available to help.
- Oversees staffing needs and alerts other departments of future staffing needs.
- Maintains the patient tracking system.
- Responsible for handling real time patient throughput issues and escalating of issues to ensure that organizational goal is met.
- Understands and is able to successfully verbalize/perform command center duties.
- Consistently documents staffing variances (overstaffing rationale).
- Supports and enforces activities surrounding HCAHPS initiatives.
[ Qualifications ]
Bachelor s Nursing Required
3 Years of Nursing Required
Charge or Relief Charge Nurse Responsibility Required
Licenses and Certifications:
RN License / New Jersey Required
National Nursing Certifications Preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
[ Physical Demands ]
Works in a normal hospital environment with frequent exposure to sick or injured patients.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds Rarely
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
[ Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion ]
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.