Catholic Charities Diocese of Brooklyn & Queens
Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Under the supervision of the Program Manager and Assistant Program Manager the Cook is responsible to serve all food in the center and for maintaining the kitchen in a sanitary and efficient condition. The Cook will comply with procedural norms and standards of attendance, punctuality, and confidentiality of HIPAA. The Cook follows individual work schedule provided by the Program Manager to indicate specific responsibilities and the time schedule for them. Cook cooperates in total staff effort designed to improve the Center s services. Responsibilities include but are not limited to participating in periodic individual conferences and regular staff meetings as scheduled by Program Manager. The Cook will be called when changes are planned in children s program affecting employee, so that the discussion and suggestions to improve existing services takes place and is properly noted.
* Adheres to all funding source standards in addition to the Agency (Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens) policies and procedures; seeks guidance/clarification from their immediate supervisor regarding interpretation, applicability, and implementation.* Strictly adheres to and enforces all the Agency policies regarding Confidentiality, HIPAA requirements, and Corporate Compliance regulations.
a. Prepares, cooks, and serves food according to appropriate practices.
* Responsible for safe preparation and storage of all food items used at the center through:b. Responsible for requisitioning appropriate amounts of food at established intervals and preparing designated menus.c. Stores foods appropriately before and after cooking in bins, cupboards, or refrigerators.d. Prepares vegetables by washing, scraping, peeling, and chopping.e. Cooks meats, sauces, desserts, and other foods.f. Records amounts on food, including milk used daily.g. Washes and sterilizes dishes, pots, and utensils after meals.h. Assumes duties as housekeeper as required.i. Prepares weekly menus subject to the approval of the Director.j. Confers with Director when menu changes are indicated (i.e. necessary substitution or the use of leftovers).k. Responsible to apportion food for children s groups according to need.l. Follows the completion of the menu; cook prepares food purchase inventory subject to the Director s approval.* Washes dishes and utensils according to sanitary practices.* Keeps kitchen and storeroom in a clean sanitary and orderly condition, (e.g. range, sink, refrigerator, and cupboards).* Keeps kitchen utensils and equipment in good condition.* Places garbage bags in designated receptacles.* Washes dish towels and truck/cart covers.
* Keeps simple inventory of food and household supplies on hand as needed.* Responsible for storing or supervising storage of all food and household supplies.a. Supervises and trains volunteers.* Participates in food related learning activities such as:b. Eats with children at least periodically.c. Responsible for classroom participation in introducing new foods to children and other food-related learning experiences.d. Includes children in assisting with food preparation and clean-up.e. Assists with budget planning (Food Service Costs).f. Uses available resources: commodity foods, milk program, community nutrition personnel, etc.
* Establishes and maintains positive on-going relationships with Supervisors, Staff, and Parents/Families via open communications as necessary.* Responds in a timely manner to requests for program information (i.e. meal count records, CACFP Food Production records, menus, etc.).* Ensures paperwork related to job responsibilities (i.e. Food Production Book, Menus, Cycle Menus, etc.) is prepared and submitted in a timely, organized, and consistent manner. * Informs Program Manager/Educational Director of needed food supplies, repairs, and replacement of kitchen equipment and utensils.* Notifies immediate supervisor and/or Program site in the event of an unplanned absence (illness, personal emergencies, etc.).* Makes every attempt to avoid developing a pattern of excessive absences and lateness for work, meetings, and/or trainings.
* High School Diploma or Equivalent required.* Food Production Certificate preferred.* Two years of experience in food preparation, preferably in an Early Childhood setting preferred.* Basic Computer skills for menu planning and food ordering, ability to read and write in English, and use a Telephone, Fax machine, and Copier.
* Ability to read printed materials and computer screens. * Should be able to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and office equipment.* Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time.* Frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movements in the performance of daily duties.* Ability to lift and carry supplies and equipment at least 40 pounds and/or move up and down stairs as needed.* Ability to adjust focus; specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.