Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
Part-Time Legal Services Coordinator
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
Community Economic Development Program
(20 hours weekly)
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (Legal Services), a non-profit law firm providing free civil legal assistance to low income/low opportunity individuals in 21 Eastern Missouri counties, is seeking a part-time (20 hours per week) Legal Services Coordinator for our Community Economic Development (CED) - Microenterprise Program in our Forest Park Office. The Legal Services Coordinator reports to the Microenterprise Managing Attorney. The CED Microenterprise Program provides legal assistance to low-income entrepreneurs and those wanting to start nonprofits.
The Legal Services Coordinator will create document templates, draft newsletters and market program events, and will coordinate clinics, trainings and similar events and participate in community legal information events as needed. The Coordinator will assist with drafting case summaries and will place cases with volunteer attorneys, maintain the volunteer database and prepare pro bono recognition activities in coordination with Legal Services Volunteer Lawyers Program.
This position is part time (20 hours a week) and offers flexible scheduling, with occasional evenings required.
The Legal Services Coordinator is the front-line person in coordinating events, outreach, and placing cases with volunteer attorneys. This position will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Draft templates, create and format handouts, newsletters and flyers using the latest software including Office 365, Adobe DC/Illustrator and Constant Contact.
- Draft and send evaluation surveys to former clients, post-case closing and record outcomes.
- Engage in daily verbal and written communications with attorneys, law firm pro bono coordinators and their staff, to place cases and to recruit current volunteers to staff upcoming events/outreach/clinics.
- Coordinate and assist Managing Attorney in planning and staffing trainings, seminars and legal information clinics and other events.
- Format and assemble training and presentation materials.
- Develop clients cases from case opening to case distribution, including drafting case summaries from attorneys notes, creating distribution summaries to send via email to volunteer attorneys, and providing administrative follow-up.
- Use LegalServer (our case management system), to maintain the volunteer database, record time and to put together grant reports when needed.
- Participate in and assist with pro bono-staffed events as needed.
- Cross-train to be able to assume administrative support for program in times of increased caseloads and staff absences.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must have a passion for serving low-income clients;
- 5+ years professional experience required; communications or legal background is preferred;
- High school education required; at least 2 years of post-high school education is preferred;
- High proficiency level with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe products and Constant Contact is required;
- Database management experience preferred;
- Must have transportation for occasional work outside of the office at legal assistance clinics and community events;
- Must have exceptional organizational and multi-tasking skills;
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills; must be detail-oriented;
- Must enjoy working with people;
- Must have the emotional maturity and stress management skills necessary to serve clients who are in the midst of crises and trauma;
- Must be a self-starter able to work independently with limited task supervision; and
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
How to Apply:
Upload your resume and cover letter through JobScore. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Salary & Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. This position is not eligible for health insurance benefits.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to LSEM s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.