Takoma Park Silver Spring Co-op
The mission of TPSS Co-op is to promote healthful living by offering wholesome foods, high quality produce and community resources, in a clean, friendly, co-operative grocery store... that you own!
Each staff member is asked to help create an environment which encourages respect, honesty and trusts amongst all co-workers and also offers the highest degree of service to each customer; each staff member is asked to help maintain the store image as an ethical and positive place to work and to shop. In addition, TPSS Co-op is committed to being an educational resource to the community on ecological, environmental and food related issues.
- Greet customers, smiling and making eye contact.
- Become familiar with TPSS Co-op policies and products in order to answer customer questions. Refer unresolved questions or problems to the appropriate staff.
- Check out customer purchases quickly and accurately, using correct prices and departments.
- Call for back-up as needed so that customers wait as little as possible to be checked out.
- Bag customer purchases as needed and ask customers if they need assistance. For those needing assistance, carry out groceries or call other staff if available.
- Open and close out registers following established procedures. Count cash drawer at start & end of shift.
- Put stuffers in bags, inform customers of specials and upcoming store events.
- Maintain front end in clean, orderly condition.
- Answer and route phone calls, take and route messages as needed.
- Alert Shift Coordinator to potential shoplifters, disorderly customers or other emergencies.
- Inform appropriate individuals of pricing errors, PLU errors and unpriced items.
- Talking to shoppers about the benefits of membership as well as turning shoppers into TPSS members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Available to work mornings/evenings and weekends.
- Ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Experience serving the public.
- Strong basic math skills.
- Accuracy, attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Ability to project an outgoing, friendly personality.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
- Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
Benefits and Perks:
- Paid time off.
- Staff discounts.
- Wages start at $14.65 per hour and $15.15 per hour after completing probationary period successfully.