The Aspen Times is looking for a part-time magazine distribution ninja who will thrive on making sure that our big portfolio of magazines are delivered with precision to on-street racks, in-store displays, hotel concierges and a specific list of distributions points from Aspen to Basalt. This position will have several big distribution pushes to coincide with magazine launch dates, but will also be responsible for ensuring that our magazine titles are front and center in all of our distribution locations all year long. The distribution coordinator will also oversee rack maintenance to include routine repairs, cleaning and replacement. Occasional delivery or restocking of The Aspen Times, Aspen Times Weekly and Snowmass Sun will be required. Additional duties will include general support to the Regional Circulation Manager. This position is 20 hours per week and includes a company-provided delivery van and fuel for all work-related duties. When hours are worked is negotiable. Must be able to lift 20-30 pounds routinely and regularly drive several hours per day. The ideal candidate has great communication skills, excellent customer service, is proficient at using Microsoft Excel, email and text and willing to learn new software programs.
Our application process is two parts. Please start here and complete the questionnaire. When complete, return to this page and click apply to complete your application.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Magazine Distribution Distribution Assistant is responsible for the distribution of 17 magazine titles in Aspen, Snowmass, Woody Creek, Basalt, Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. Distribution locations will be provided per magazine. Additional responsibilities include: distribution list development based on identification of new drops, removal of unnecessary drops, addition of hotels or new businesses that open or any that are not currently on the list. A list of locations that refuse drops will also be tracked by distribution assistant.
- Delivery Schedule This position is responsible for initial stocking of all new seasonal magazines and removal of previous season's magazines. Magazines must be restocked weekly to ensure consistent distribution and continual public awareness of magazine titles. Distribution dates/times will be up to the distribution assistant's discretion, but ensuring appropriate stock before weekends and immediately after are a priority. Magazines must be delivered during business hours to retail distribution locations. Distribution Assistant must be cognizant of busy times at certain types of businesses and deliver around them. Restaurants are not as receiving of magazines during the lunch and dinner rushes.
- Delivery Responsibility Timelines will be provided for initial distribution of each new magazine title. Deviation from the magazine distribution timeline will need to be agreed upon by the Circulation Director as well as the advertising director of the publication. Distribution Assistant may be required to make special pickups or deliveries of products not listed below.
- Distribution Assistant is responsible for delivery of the following publications Art in Aspen (Summer), Art in Aspen (Winter), Best of Aspen, Discover Basalt, Eat Magazine (Summer), Eat Magazine (Winter), Roaring Fork Collection (Summer), Roaring Fork Collection (Winter), Food & Wine, Summer in Aspen, Winter in Aspen, Summer in Snowmass, Winter in Snowmass, Cycling Guide, Escape to Garfield County (Summer), Escape to Garfield County (Winter) and Home Magazine.
- Excellent Customer Service Distribution Assistant will walk in and hand the magazines to someone at each location. They will not leave magazines outside of a closed door or on a counter without checking with an employee. They will offer each location only as many of each magazine as they think they will use that week and leave them only as many as they want. Local businesses should know your name, who you represent and generally when to expect you each week. Distribution Assistant will need to determine most the appropriate magazines for each drop and deliver accordingly. Example: almost all drops will get Summer in Aspen and Summer in Snowmass. Art in Aspen and the Cycling Guide have more specialized audiences.
- Reporting Distribution Assistant will provide a list each week to the Circulation Director that will include all drops made the previous week as well as the quantity of each magazine left at each drop. Circulation Director will compile a master list as the magazine cycle goes on to provide to the advertising department.
- Product Management Distribution Assistant will make a request for magazines when needed to Circulation Director. Circulation Director will coordinate the delivery with our storage facility. Magazines must be stacked neatly in the agreed upon area in the carport upon arrival. Materials, products and equipment related to magazine delivery stored in the carport area must be kept clean and organized at all times.
- Newspaper Rack Repair and Maintenance Distribution Assistant is responsible for newspaper and magazine rack repair and maintenance within the delivery area. A list of necessary repairs will be provided with an expectation of when the repairs will be made. The company will provide all tools and parts necessary to make repairs and maintain newspaper racks.
- The company will provide a delivery vehicle and fuel for the Distribution Assistant. Company business shall not be conducted in any personal vehicles. Only approved employees are allowed to drive company vehicles. Personal business shall not be conducted in any company vehicle. Must be comfortable driving a 10 passenger van. This position requires regularly driving many miles during product delivery.
- Distribution Assistant will keep a keen eye on how we are positioned in the competitive space and provide a competitive analysis on a quarterly basis.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have flexible schedule.
- Distribution or other logistical experience helpful.
- Must have a valid Driver's License.
- Familiarity with the Roaring Fork Valley preferred.
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.