The Prepared Foods Prep Cook is an entry level kitchen position ideally suited for an aspiring chef. The Prep Cook will gain invaluable skills that will, in time, prepare him or her to advance to the next level within the kitchen. As a Prep Cook you will perform all functions relating to the cleaning and maintenance of equipment as well as proper food preparation. In a store with an open kitchen, you will ensure a positive company image by working in a clean and organized fashion and, when need be, providing courteous, friendly, and efficient service to customers who request/need your attention. You will also provide other team members with efficient, organized service to assist in their duties.
- Adhere to the highest culinary standard to insure consistent, delicious food.
- Ensure that food quality, quantity, freshness, and presentation meet all Regional standards.
- Complete production lists as assigned in a timely manner
- Assist with production for all Prepared Foods venues.
- Ensure all prepared items are labeled, dated, initialed, covered, and rotated.
- Document waste and spoilage using appropriate forms.
- Check and log temperatures as needed and per regional and health department guidelines using the appropriate forms
- Ensure all production is done using correct measuring devices and all recipes are accurately followed
- Maintain a clean and organized kitchen and station
- Follow and comply with established procedures, including Weights and Measures, health and sanitation, and adhere to safe work practices.
- Operate and sanitize all equipment in a safe and proper manner.
- This job posting is intended to describe the general requirements for the performance of this job. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned by leadership.
- Proficient with basic knife skills
- Ability and willingness to follow a recipe and commit to doing so for every item prepared
- Previous kitchen, deli, restaurant, cooking or customer service experience preferred.
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and, as needed/request, with customers
- Ability and willingness to follow all instructions and procedures.
- Ability and willingness to learn basic knowledge of all products carried in the department.
- Ability to visually examine products for quality and freshness.
- Effective time management skills.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
- Proper handling of knives and other cutting equipment.
- Available for flexible scheduling to meet the needs of the department.
At Whole Foods Market, we empower our Team Members to make their own decisions, thus creating an environment where people are treated with respect and are highly motivated to excel. We mentor Team Members through education and on-the-job experience. As a result, we are able to fill a majority of leadership roles from our existing Team Member base. We also recognize that there are individuals with talent outside of Whole Foods Market, and have training programs to bring those new leaders into the company.
Our Team Members represent over 50 different nations. We are people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, yet all work together to meet the needs of our customers.
We offer great benefits beginning with a full complement of medical and other traditional group health plan coverage, 401k plan, and a 20% discount at our stores. To learn more, apply your passion today.
At Whole Foods Market we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all team members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled.