The Salvation Army Boston Kroc Center is seeking a part-time Lifeguard/Swim Instructor who is responsible for the safety of patrons and the aquatics facility as well as teaching water fitness learns to swim, and private swim lessons.
- Ensure patron safety at all times.
- Be prepared to act quickly and correctly at all times, especially in times of emergency.
- Create a positive experience for students/patrons through professional and courteous behavior.
- Follow the facilities Emergency Action Plan accordingly in the event of an emergency.
- Provide safety for patrons by educating them of the rules and policies in a positive polite way.
- Participate in in-service training, orientations and other staff meetings as required.
- Promote safe work habits and contribute to the safety of self, co-workers, and the general public.
- Complete applicable reports and records.
- Assume a schedule of flexible working hours, including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Be familiar with all schedules and any posted changes for the facility
- See that all injuries for those under your program whether employee, volunteer, visitor, or spectator, report all injuries in a timely manner and according to procedure.
- Instruct and certify groups/ individuals of adults and children in swimming and water safety.
- Teach by the guidelines of the Red Cross & Adaptive Aquatics.
- Maintain a posture of alertness at all times, staying within your designated area of responsibility.
- Maintain surveillance at all times. Do not take eyes off pool.
- Wear the required uniform at all times while on duty. (Red shorts, Water appropriate footwear, Head Lifeguard T-shirt issued by Aquatic Center, Whistle, Rescue Tube and Two Way Radio (provided by the Aquatic Center) (No hats or sunglasses)
- Be on time for your shift and after breaks or down shifts.
- Represent The Salvation Army s spiritual and social mission
- Perform other related duties as assigned, including occasional cleaning.
- American Red Cross Certification in Lifeguard Training and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
- Willingness to complete provided cross over course to Water Park Lifeguarding
- Meet The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center of Boston skill standards
- Be dependable, alert and able to interact with people of all ages and from varying backgrounds in a positive manner.
- S. Water Fitness Instructor Certification or another approved nationally accredited organization.
- American Red Cross Certification Water Safety Instructor
- Must have experience as a certified lifeguard and instructor
- Must be able to work in an office/pool with professional staff consisting of individuals with varying experience, competency and cultural backgrounds.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Applications and/or appropriate desktop applications.
- Must have the ability to work and relate well with people.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Must be able to function in a fast-paced, frequently changing environment
- Must have a Lifeguard Instructor and Water Safety Instructor Certification
- Water Exercise Instructor Certification
- Have ability to instruct a classroom of adults, adolescent, and child learners consisting of individuals with varying experience, competency, and cultural backgrounds.
- Deal comfortably with stressful situations, and follow emergency procedures.
- The person in this position must have the ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, professional manner in conformity with The Salvation Army Mission Statement.
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and be comfortable taking initiative with projects.
- Must be able to perform tasks of a repetitive nature without diminished performance.
- Must be able to bend, squat, twist, and stand, as these movements are a regular requirement of this position.
- Must be physically able to give emergency care if a situation arises.