Job Title: Utility Person
Department: Distribution Center
Reports To: Warehouse Manager
Location: West Sacramento Distribution Center Facility
Position Summary: This position is responsible for Loading, unloading, and moving materials within or near plant, yard, or work site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow all safety procedures and work as safe as possible at all times.
- Reads work order or follows oral instructions to ascertain materials or containers to be moved.
- Opens containers.
- Loads and unloads materials onto or from pallets, trays, racks, and shelves by hand.
- Loads materials into vehicles and installs strapping, bracing, or padding to prevent shifting or damage in transit.
- Conveys materials from storage or work sites to designated area.
- Secures lifting attachments to materials and conveys load to destination or signals crane or hoisting operators to move load to destination.
- Counts, weighs, and records number of units of materials moved or handled on daily production sheet.
- Attaches identifying tags or labels to materials or marks information on cases, bales, or other containers.
- Loads truck for Industrial Truck Operator.
- Stacks or assembles materials into bundles and bands bundles together.
- Lifts heavy objects by hand or with power hoist, and cleans work area, machines, and equipment to assist machine operators.
- Makes simple adjustments or repairs such as realigning belts or replacing rollers.
- Assembles crates to contain products such as machines or vehicles.
- Shovels loose materials such as sand, gravel, metals, plastics, or chemicals, into machine hoppers or into vehicles and containers such as wheelbarrows, scrap truck, or barrels.
- Operates industrial truck or electric hoist to assist in loading or moving materials and products.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere and interaction with customers, co-workers, and management.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Ability to understand, remember and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information.
- Ability to read and interpret written information.
- Demonstrated ability to meet productivity standards.
- Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate professionally with customers and co-workers.
- Ability to count, add, subtract, multiply, and divide and to record, balance, and check for accuracy.
- Have a strong work ethic and be able to work independently as well as work in a team.
- Follows policies and procedures.
- Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, a professional attitude, and produces accurate work product.
- Must be enthusiastic and proactive.
- Must have a cooperative attitude.
- Must have the ability to follow-up.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (G.E.D.)
Language Skills: English is required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Amount of Travel Involved: None.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, employee is frequently required to stand, walk, push, pull, stoop, crouch, feel, grasp, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Job requires repetitive motion. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, employee is regularly exposed to changes in warehouse temperature due to environmental conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Employee is regularly in close proximity to moving motor vehicles and machinery.
Volt is an equal opportunity employer.